...the Obama administration and the broad coalition that supports him will almost inevitably have to consider—and they already are—the following measures:
* Public ownership of the financial system and the elimination of the shadow banking system and exotic derivatives.
* Public control of the Federal Reserve Bank.
* Counter-crisis spending of a bigger size and scope to invigorate and sustain a full recovery and meet human needs—something that the New Deal never accomplished.
* Strengthening of union rights in order to rebalance the power between labor and capital in the economic and political arenas.
* Trade agreements that have at their core the protection and advancement of international working-class interests.
* Equality in conditions of life for racial minorities and women.
* Democratic public takeover of the energy complex as well as a readiness to consider the takeover of other basic industries whose future is problematic in private hands.
* Turning education, childcare, and healthcare into “no profit” zones.
* Rerouting investment capital from unproductive investment (military, finance and so forth) to productive investment in a green economy and public infrastructure.
* Changing direction of our nation’s foreign policy toward cooperation, disarmament, and diplomacy. We can’t have threats, guns and military occupations on the one hand and butter, democracy, goodwill, and peace on the other.
* Full-scale assault on global warming.
* Serious and sustained commitment to assisting the developing countries, which are locked in poverty and misery.
When does the President of the United States become an enemy of the people? Is it possible for the government of the United States to become a domestic enemy? I'm assuming that it is impossible since those terms are defined by the government and they would have the sense to exclude themselves from such "oversight." I hope the communists are dead wrong about Obama. I hope he has the sense not to try to reinvent America despite what Americans want.
I'm waiting for the devourer, but he still hasn't shown at my door...still hasn't paid me a visit. I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine...